Monday, November 30, 2009

Turn, Magic Wheel

Turn, Magic Wheel by Dawn Powell is the latest book that I'm reading with my "rogue book club", the little offshoot of my main book club. I finished it two days ago and am still trying to decide what I think about it.


It's the story of an author who uses a friend, the jilted wife of a Hemingway-like figure, as material for his latest novel. It definitely wasn't a book that really pulled me in or kept me reading it nonstop, so in that sense I can't say that I loved it. There were a few times when I thought "this is it, this is where it's going to pick up and get good", but then it would slow down and my interest waned again.

On the other hand, I really liked the way the author develops the two main characters and their feelings toward each other. I especially loved the way that, during the last few chapters, she sets them up as parallels of each other and shows how the way they approach their lives is more similar than it initially seems.

In the end, I think I liked more than I didn't like about this book, and found some parts to be really intriguing. I can't wait to see what the rest of the club (okay...the one other member) thinks!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails