Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Swedish Mystery

So I jumped on the bandwagon and read The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo by Steig Larsson, mostly because I have plans to go see the movie next week. My feelings about this book kept swinging back and forth as I read it.

I started out predisposed to like it, mostly due to the fact that it's set in Sweden. Sounds like an odd reason, but the last book (and possibly only other book) that I read that was set in Sweden was Let the Right One In. That book, and its movie adaptation, are among the most memorable books/movies I've read/seen in the past couple of years. The Swedish setting in that was, for lack of a less dramatic phrase, very haunting. It really stuck with me, and I was excited to read another book with a similar setting.


A little bit into the story, I found myself unsure about it. The reviews I'd read billed this as an intelligent crime thriller, and for the most part it is, but there were certain points when the writing seemed a little bit cheesy and certain elements of the plot seemed cliche. The further into the story I got, though, the easier it was to ignore these parts. By the end, I was really into it, and had to read the final 100 pages at once when I got home from work today. So all in all, I liked it and will probably read the next two books in the trilogy. It is nice change to have a series to read that isn't meant for young adults.

Now, anyone know of any other books set in Sweden?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails