Sunday, August 1, 2010

Introducing Millie

Surprise! I adopted a dog yesterday! Meet Millie, a two-year-old petite little beagle girl who was rescued from a high kill shelter in West Virginia.

The adoption happened so quickly that it came as a bit of a surprise to me too. I'd been thinking that I would get a dog sometime in the next year or so, and had been occasionally browsing the beagles up for adoption on Petfinder.com. I saw Millie listed earlier this week and thought she was adorable, but never imagined that I would own her by the weekend. Then on Friday night, I found out the the rescue group she was with (ironically named Cattitudes) was having an adoption fair at a Petco about an hour away. It seemed like too good a chance to pass up.

When I saw her at the store, I couldn't believe how tiny she is for a fully grown dog! She's only 14 pounds and just about 11 inches high (beagles usually come in 13 or 15 inch varieties). She is such a sweetie. I knew she was the dog for me after one walk around the Petco.

So far, Millie's been a very good girl. She's calm during car rides, goes to the bathroom outside, and sleeps through the night. (She might just need a little work on sitting and staying.) She seems to like to cuddle, although she didn't have a lot of time this weekend, between chasing birds and squirrels during her walks and playing with her cousin Petey (a beagle mix) at my aunt's house. After so much excitement, it's a good thing she likes to curl up and sleep in her bed.



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails