Sunday, December 12, 2010

Little Bee

Did anyone guess my book club's latest book based on the hint I dropped about a month ago? It was Little Bee by Chris Cleave.

I'm glad we chose this book. It was really well written and yielded an interesting book club discussion. That being said, the most interesting thing about it might actually be it's marketing angle. The back copy of the book takes the line of "we're not going to tell you anything about the story because it's so special that you need to experience how it unfolds for yourself". Kind of a genius marketing ploy. Even though I really liked the book, I'm not sure it quite lived up to all of that hype. There is a pivotal scene that's probably best not revealed ahead of time, but I kept waiting for even more, like some huge twist that would totally change the way I thought about the story, and that just never came.

I can't complain too much, though. It's definitely a book worth reading. All I say about it is it follows the intersection of the lives of a Nigerian girl and a British woman. I can't reveal anything else. You'll have to experience it for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails