Tuesday, April 26, 2011

The Kids at the Jersey Shore

I may not have the most impartial opinion of Rosie and Skate, seeing as I know the author from taking several writing workshops that she's taught, but I don't think I'm being unduly influenced by acquaintance when I say that it's a beautifully written YA novel.

Rosie and Skate are two teenage sisters living in the fictional and charmingly named seaside town of Little Mermaid, New Jersey and dealing with the problems caused by their alcoholic father. Rosie is shy and hopeful, while Skate is bold and sure of herself. The characters are wonderfully drawn to reveal the very different inner worlds of these two sisters. The setting is perfectly captured, too, which I know for a fact because it's based on my home turf. From start to finish, the entire novel evokes the "locals" mood of off-season at the Jersey Shore. Which, of course, is the real Jersey Shore.


1 comment:

  1. 1. Babysitters Club ruled my elementary years. I wanted to be blonde like Dawn and sophisticated like Stacey and artsy like Claudia.

    2. I am so glad that I found your blog! I love books. I love book suggestions. I am excited to read more.

    xo,

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails