Friday, May 27, 2011

My BEA Day

Yesterday I was lucky enough to get to spend the day at Book Expo America, the publishing industry trade show going on in New York this week. I used my iphone to snap some of the highlights, like the nice displays in the Penguin, Chronicle, and Workman Press booths.




Of course, I was partial to the fact that Penguin had an entire wall decorated with their Classics editions. And as if they don't already have me wrapped around their finger, I learned that they'll be releasing a new series of Fitzgerald titles in the fall featuring art deco cover designs.


Something else to look forward to- a new Shabby Chic book.



At the Workman booth, I noticed that they were promoting the upcoming book based on the Missed Connections blog.


As I was looking through a sample of the book, the girl working the booth told me that they were giving away prints of one of the Missed Connections illustrations. And, oh by the way, the artist herself is right over there signing them. So I got to meet her and got a lovely signed picture to frame and hang near the bookshelves in my apartment (once I actually get some).



American Girl had a big booth showcasing their books. They were promoting their new historical dolls, two girls from New Orleans in the mid-nineteenth century. Am I too old to put these on my Christmas list?

I didn't pose with my head behind these life size figures. But yes, I kind of wanted to.

I can't lie, though. One of the biggest highlights was the free stuff I came away with. From the moment I stepped into the exhibit hall, I was overcome by the hunt for freebies, no matter what they were. YA book about how to rock braces with a tie-in compact mirror? Sure! Giant Tin Tin tote bag? Why not! Not to mention the galleys and catalogs I picked up. I already paid the penance for my greediness in the form of an aching shoulder after lugging my loot laden tote all the way home.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails