Thursday, November 10, 2011

Roasted Tomatoes

So I'm not a vegetarian, but I play one in real life. Meaning that I briefly went vegetarian when I was in high school, gradually added chicken and fish back into my diet, and eventually ended up at the point I'm at now, where the red meat I eat is limited to bacon and the occasional hamburger.

Despite following my own special brand of vegetarianism, I'd say that 80% of the meals I eat are meatless, mostly because I don't like handling meat when I'm cooking at home. I'm always looking for new meatless recipes, so I was thrilled when I learned about Heidi Swanson's cookbook, Super Natural Everyday and blog, 101 Cookbooks. Both are filled with lots of meatless recipes made with fresh, wholesome ingredients. One that I've tried is a simple recipe that results in the most delicious roasted tomatoes I've ever had.

The cherry tomatoes are tossed with olive oil, salt, and a tablespoon of maple syrup, which I think is the secret ingredient that makes all the difference. They smell amazing as they're roasting and end up tasting nicely sweet. I really can't stop making these. Besides eating them as the book suggests, in a salad with black beans and feta cheese, I've also mixed them in with some simple quinoa.

Eating them by the bowlful wouldn't be too bad, either.

6 comments:

  1. I love love love Heidi! She has taken my holiday baking to a whole new level (limoncello cookies!). Thos tomatoes look absolutely amazing. Think I'll have to be trying them soon ;)
    (I totally get your unique vegetarinaism- I eat no meat. Except for bacon. And the occasional cheesesteak egg roll. But I'm a Philly girl, so really, there was never gonna be any avoiding that!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow. Those look awesome. Thanks for the links, too...I'm always on the hunt for new meatless ideas:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks amazing. I am kinda in the same boat, but I certainly enjoy meat for time to time - I feel like bacon is the gate way meat (I just cant say no)!

    hope you have nice weekend.

    e

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmm, that looks delicious. I was planning to make roasted tomato soup this weekend, and now I'm definitely going to!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look very delicious, I like them when they reach that "jerkyish" stage =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a perfect way to cook end of season tomatoes. I'm with you on not touching meat as well.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails