Wednesday, June 13, 2012

The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel

Since I watch more movies through Netflix than I see in theaters these days, it's rare for me to have a movie recommendation that's not a year or two past due. That's why, when I have an actual current movie to recommend, like The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel, I have to jump at the chance.


The ensemble cast of heavyweight actors portrays a group of British retirees who, for various reasons, decide to spend their retirement in India at The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel, a luxurious retreat for older adults. Of course, when they arrive they find that things aren't quite as luxurious as advertised. Although some funny moments ensue as each character adapts to the new culture in his or her own way, the story as a whole is weightier than the commercials portray, and ultimately very uplifting. The crowd in the theater where I saw it was definitely skewed toward older generations, but I'd say this is a must see for any age. Or a must-Netflix, if your habits run more towards mine.

2 comments:

  1. I saw that a couple weeks ago. I agree, it was good and there were some twists in the plot that are not expected. All the actors are such veterans, it must have been fun for them to film together. This is on my short list for an Oscar in one of the big categories so far.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really loved this movie and I am so glad you wrote about it. Everyone I know who has seen it has enjoyed it. It was uplifting, as you said.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails