Friday, July 19, 2013

Friday Fancies

The biggest book-related news of the week has been the revelation that J.K. Rowling penned the detective novel The Cuckoo's Calling under the pseudonym of Robert Galbraith.  Although I'm not the biggest reader of mysteries, I am kind of curious to see what she's done here, especially since, unlike some, I actually really enjoyed her novel The Casual Vacancy. I'll admit that I do wonder about the timing of the leak, though. The Cuckoo's Calling came out at the end of April, and while it apparently received some critical praise, I doubt it would have become a best seller if Rowling wasn't suddenly attached to it. What do you think? Will you read it?

(image via here)

Other noteworthy items:

More big publishing industry news (from The Onion).

My favorite real news story of the week

Comma Workshop creates lovely quilts that feature text from poems and stories. Their current project features excerpts from Thoreau's Walden.

A peek inside a home that does a nice job of decorating with books.

And I'm trying really hard not to be tempted by NYRB's Summer Sale.  (That collection of Nancy Mitford's histories is calling my name!)

8 comments:

  1. I'm probably naive, but I bet it wasn't leaked on purpose, at least not by J.K. Rowling. It sounds like she valued her privacy and loved writing in peace and in secret. I might read it too. I'm super curious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you that I believe Rowling really did want to write in privacy. I might be more suspicious of the book's publisher in the leak, although I've since heard that the lead came from a law firm, so I'm not really sure what to think about it.

      Delete
  2. I've contemplated reading it, but I don't want to buy it. I'll probably wait until the holds go down a bit at the library.

    The NYRB sale is VERY tempting - I'm partial to the American Masterpieces set.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the sale is on until the beginning of September, so we still have a long time left to fight off temptation!

      Delete
  3. hahaha! loved the Onion article. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, and thanks for visiting! Your comment led me to discover your blog, which I'm looking forward to exploring. The mix of books you write about is just my cup of tea.

      Delete
  4. I am sceptical about the leak. Here in the UK, the news was leaked at the start of the summer holidays, before the book went in to paper back. Cue massive sales of the hardback for people to read on holiday.
    Although I am sure it was refreshing for her to read criticism of her writing that doesn't refer to Harry Potter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. that's interesting book news! i'll check it out. i've been reading a lot of nonfiction, so we'll see. happy weekend, n

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails